"What a refreshingly honest blog about listening to music through hi-fi. So happy to see views based upon the enjoyment of music rather than so-called sound 'quality'." - Peter Comeau, Director of Acoustic Design at Mission / Wharfedale

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Scalford System 2015 - Feeback From Around the Forums

Here are the comments from around the forums (I've listed them all, where I've found them - both positive and negative):

LINN:

Dasher: I think that you surprised quite a few people yesterday! Congratulations - it worked really well

PINK FISH MEDIA:

Ginger: A digital set up of Fiio/MF VDAC, tisbury passive and Linn Katans (all for under a grand according to it's owner) sounding lovely, especially at this money. I've heard none of this stuff before but the speakers disappearing, imaging nicely, again unforced, out of the boxes, I could live with that no problem. 

Muzzer: Ginger I agree about some of those big money systems being amongst the poorer sounding systems, also was not really impressed by the much hyped Event Opals and did not rate the Linn Katan active setup much.

Joolzdee: My first, but won't be my last Scalford show.
Favourites for me were...in no particular order....
Room 200 with the Mac mini/ Grimm active speakers
Room 201 with the Royd Sapphires. What a big sound!
Room 202... Activ Katans
and Room 22... High spec LP12, Gato, Art Alnico speakers (stunning!!)
Well done to all exhibitors though.....plenty of good sounds and lots of hard work too!!
Thanks everyone.

TonyL: I enjoyed a couple of systems mentioned rather negatively upthread, the active Katans & Events both sounded good to me, I've certainly never heard passive Katans sound anything like that good before, but in both cases I managed to bag a good front and centre seat.

Foot Tapper: I made a point of popping in for a listen yesterday and was really pleasantly surprised. For such compact speakers, I thought that the sound was punchy, fast, tuneful and went surprisingly deep. The very small source components were also digging far more of the music out than I had expected. Not being a fan of Linn's current electronics, I really wasn't expecting much, but the system far, far exceeded my expectations. In fact it was great! Thanks for making the effort to set it up so well.   (also, from the same contributor on the Naim Forum: Your room sounded amazingly good this year, especially for such a compact system.  
It must have been the active amplification for the speakers.
Either that, or the carefully selected grade of goose down in your bass traps

jhud1952: Couldn't agree more - truly excellent sound from such a compact system.

CYRUSUNOFFICIAL:

hifinutt: so good to catch up with quite a few from cu and the rooms sounded good with the opals and I must say sunbeams room was absolutely brilliant as usual. those katans with the linn and flac source was very holographic. well whatever you did it was magic !!!!  As you know sunbeam was using his (Tisbury) in his marvellous set up at the wam show and it sounded pretty fine

mickbald: Sunbeams set up. How can you possibly get so much sound for £1000? Tiny speakers delivering the impossible, and where was the subwoofer hidden? Sunbeam never stood up while I was there so I have my suspicions

maro73: Some systems to point out
1. Sunbeam .. World beater system
2. The mingda system was really good
3. There were some high high end systems , good to listen to but in a house impossible , unless you wife is blind or likes hifi

abozo: sunbeamgls: very impressive sound/pound. Your system was making a lot us think!

Dan1502: Having been meaning to find your room all weekend Edun telling me how good it was gave me a nudge to go and find it on Sunday afternoon. It ended up being a much needed break and I sat there relaxing for half an hour or so up until the point I noticed nobody else could get in the room so I moved on for their sakes.

Callen24: Sunbeam system was one of the few able to create a soundstage, I only heard 13 rooms, but most of them sounded like the sound was in the speakers, not around them....The two packed duvets, in the corner, and the closed curtains suggest to me that sunbeam spent a lot of time thinking about what he was doing. He has obviously had an affect because the price of katan speakers has gone up a few notches, on the bay, since scaffold.

CrimsonDonkey: Loads of cred for sunbeams room he did a great job

HIFI WIGWAM:

Petrat: ... and Sunbeamgls ... those little Aktiv Katans will stay long in my memory.

syep2001: Sunbeamgls - Probably them most relaxed room i went in all day, smooth low volume, and the female vocal that came out of the Katans sounded very nice.

JamPal (nee hifiwigwam at the time): However, it was some of the smaller rooms which really got me thinking. SunbeamGLS's little Linn Katans fed from a FIO was absolutely stunning, I stayed a long while in there.

Steve H: The speakers I enjoyed listening to most today was the Linn Katan in room 202 followed by the little Harbeths P3. The produce to my ears, a sound that is fast and clear. I could have stayed much longer to enjoy the music and conversation.

NAIM FORUM:

naim_nymph: This system was top draw imho, the small speakers didn't challenge the acoustics of the room, no colourisation, just easy on the ear music. If there was a prize for giant killing this system would have got 1st place.
Wanted to stay longer but much to go see and hear : )

If you enjoyed this post, consider supporting Audiophile Musings on Patreon.com:  Patreon Patrons

No comments:

Post a Comment